Friday, April 10, 2009

My Testimony in Brief



I was born in Famagusta, Cyprus in 1973. In 1974, as a result of the Turkish invasion, my family and I moved to England until 1982 at which time we moved back to Cyprus and settled in a small coastal town called Larnaca.

After high school and the army I travelled to New York where I played music and went to University amongst other things.

In the beginning of 1998 whilst running a small home based computer business, my life long search for God culminated in me confessing my sins to the God of Israel, asking for forgiveness and being born again. I fell in love with Jesus and my life changed.

In the summer of 1998, after spending the last few months alone in elevated excitement reading the Bible and learning about Jesus, I decided to leave New York and travel back to Cyprus to lead a more quiet life.

In Cyprus I met many people from different walks of life who had had a similar experience to me: in fact what happened to them spiritually was identical to what had happened to me: they were born again.

I spent seven months in Cyprus living with my mother in Larnaca and spending a lot of time with my brothers and sisters in the Lord from a few different fellowships on the island.

In the beginning of 1999 I felt drawn to leave Cyprus and travelled to England where I spent the next five months working in a factory that made showerheads, selling ice-cream on an ice-cream van and enjoying wonderful fellowship with believers I had met in England. It is there where while reading the book of Revelation--it could have been any book of the Bible really--I began to fall in love with Israel and the people of Israel and set off on an amazing journey and a new life.

In August of 1999, I travelled back to New York and started studying History with a focus on Jewish history, Biblical criticism and Hebrew language.

In the spring of 2000 I started working at a French-American restaurant in the centre of Manhattan that I later discovered was owned and run by Israelis. My connection to the restaurant was the Greek general manager who left the following summer.

As my love for Jesus grew, so did my love for Israel. I was a member of the Hillel Jewish club at my university as well as the Intervarsity Christian fellowship. In the summer of 2002 I received a scholarship from my department--the Hebrew department--to take an intensive, advanced Hebrew grammar course at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, a seminary that trains conservative rabbis. I loved the course. Just before the course started, I met Dana, who was to become my wife. In September 2002, we left New York and after a brief stint in England and Cyprus landed in Israel.

We have three daughters, Emma, 16; Zoe, 12 and Sophia, 9.

We live in Rehovot, Israel.

No comments: